Recent Education and Qualifications:
- 2017 Mental Health First Aid Trainer Accreditation Mental Health First Aid Australia
- 2012 – 2013 Bachelor Social Science (Social Welfare) Charles Sturt University
- 2011 Diploma Community Service Ourimbah TAFE, Central Coast, NSW
- 2010 Certificate IV Mental Health Work Ourimbah TAFE, Central Coast, NSW
- 2009 Certificate III Disability Work Gosford TAFE, Central Coast, NSW
- 2017 – Ongoing Eagle Community Care
- 2011 – 2016 Disability Support Worker, ADHC
- 2014 Mental Health HASI Support Worker, UnitingCare Mental Health
- 2010 Community Support Worker CCDN
Disability Support Worker (April 2011 – May 2016) Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC), Gosford, Central Coast, NSW
I worked for the NSW Government ADHC department in group homes with both permanent and respite residents on the Central Coast while studying. This involved supporting people with complex requirements with all aspects of daily living in a residential setting as part of a 24-hour support team. All the people worked with have developmental delays as well as other physical or mental health disabilities, or medical conditions, which require 24 hour monitoring and support.
Support provided included:
- Household meal preparation, cleaning, laundry, basic maintenance;
- All areas of daily living such as personal hygiene, dressing, feeding, and medication support and monitoring as per the relevant sections of the Individual Support Plan.
- Assistance with all aspects of community access including transport, social support, professional appointments, advocacy, recreational outings, and personal shopping;
- Modelling and prompting of appropriate behaviours in the context of social settings;
- Using conflict resolution and de-escalation skills when dealing with challenging situations;
- Using Predict, Assess, and Respond Training (PART) training for managing the risks of physical assault within individual Restrictive Practice authorisations, including non-violent escape from potentially dangerous situations.
Mental Health HASI Support Worker (June 2014 – December 2014) UnitingCare Mental Health, Gosford, Central Coast, NSW
While I was working with ADHC, I also worked part-time in this temporary position. I gained invaluable experience in the support of individuals with complex mental health needs living in Housing NSW housing and accommodation.
This included casework which involved:
- Formulating and implementing a Personal Recovery Plan (PRP) within a person-centered approach in partnership with the supported person;
- Transport of and advocacy for supported persons in all appointments and activities connected to the PRP;
- All aspects of personal domestic support in the home and in the community as required in the PRP;
- Modelling of appropriate social and cognitive behaviour to the supported person including providing informal non-clinical counseling in the course of service delivery.
Community Support Worker (December 2009 – August 2010) Central Coast Disability Network (CCDN), East Gosford, Central Coast, NSW
I worked for CCDN while I was studying for my Certificate IV in Mental Health Work at Ourimbah TAFE. During this time I was responsible for providing community access and respite care in the home for people of many ages with various types of physical, intellectual and mental health disabilities. This included:
- Transport and support for formal health and government-related appointments;
- Community access transport and support for coffee, meals, and entertainment;
- In-home support such as assistance with domestic chores, respite supervision of young children and social contact.
Volunteer Disability Support Worker (2009 – 2011) Camp Breakaway, San Remo, Central Coast, NSW
Camp Breakaway is a not-for-profit centre aimed at enhancing the lives of people living with disabilities and their carers. It does this by providing short camps for people with disabilities, offering them leisure activities and giving respite to their carers.
During my studies I have volunteered at several camps where I have been responsible for supporting people with complex neurological and physical disabilities. In this position I have been responsible for the total physical and social support of persons with complex disabilities including hygiene, toileting, and feeding.
Camp Breakaway has trained me in the use of lifting and handling equipment, which I have put to use in my support roles.
Volunteer Disability Support Worker (2009 – 2010) Tall Trees Studio, Tumbi Umbi, Central Coast, NSW
I volunteered with Tall Trees Studio in Tumbi Umbi while studying for a Certificate III in Disability Work at the Hunter Institute of TAFE in Gosford. In this position I assisted with the facilitation of entertainment activities and self-development of people with intellectual disabilities in a day program setting.
This included social modelling and mentoring in activities such as craft, social games, cooking, and surfing the internet and excursions in the community.